Working from home has its ups and downs. A lot of us learned about a home office (or a dining room table, couch, or sometimes a bed) during the COVID-19 pandemic and quarantine. Add children into the work from home mix, and the challenges associated with a home office increase exponentially. Beyond an office, your home is now a classroom, a gym, and a lunchroom!What does it take to be successful while working from home? Find out what tips our co-founder, @cmurdock, has for you!Click to Tweet
Our IQTalent Partners co-founder, Chris Murdock, is a member of the group “Dads Married to Doctors” and has some unique insight into what it’s like to work from home, have children, and have a partner with a demanding work schedule. Chris was featured over Father’s Day weekend in a segment on NBC with two other dads explaining life during CoVid-19 as husbands to doctors.
“I’m in charge of childcare, hair care, schooling, and keeping my business afloat during a pandemic,” said Murdock. “But it’s all worth it; my daughter and I have always been very close.”
In a nutshell, work from home dads (or moms) should try these 10 WFH tips to stay focused and productive:
- Create a schedule and maintain regular work hours.
- Make sure you have the best internet service available.
- Take lunch breaks.
- Go outside!
- Take part in video calls and meetings and use your camera!
- Reduce distractions and create boundaries.
- Create a desk space where standing up is an option.
- Find a work environment in your home that is functional and personal. Decorate!
- Socialize with your co-workers, either virtually or in-person.
- End your day! Work-life balance is important; create an end-of-day routine and stick to it!